Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Employee of the Month

So apparently I became employee of the month for last month. Kind of fun. Always leaves me with a feeling of irony, me being me and all and doing so well at such a communication centric job.

Other news, I found out that my current manager has known all along about me having AS. Apparently my last manager told her when I was transferred between teams. Fortunately, that unsolicited disclosure brought no ill consequences but has probably contributed to my being well understood by the new team leader. I did express to my manager my thoughts about the dangers of uncontrolled disclosure and how especially at a job like mine unintentional bias could lead to workplace discrimination, so hopefully that kind of surprise won't happen again. But, overall, things have gone very well with me and my current manager.

Unfortunately one of the main benefits of being the Employee of the month, parking right next to the building, is being shared with two other Employees of the month (they didn't get around to deciding for the last two months until this month was practically over, and they run two at a time for the two separate projects in our building). Top it off that I bike to work, and I can be glad I don't think I'll be parking there very much.

Oh, and apparently I'm the first person from the commitment team to become Employee of the month, so that is fun that my team is honored through me in a way as well.

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Have I told you I am working with college age students with Aspergers??? I LOVE IT! You do extremely well and are an inspiration to us all.

CrouchingOwl said...

No you hadn't told me that. That's fun. Makes me want to spout book suggestions. I just picked up a new book entitled Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum. which I am really enjoying. How did you come to be working with college kids with it? Email me if you prefer answering more privately. :)